In his excellent description of Kendo’s history and philosophy (Kendo: Culture of the Sword ) Alexander Bennett states his view of the purposes of Kendo training:
- To foster strength in mind and body in order to overcome challenges and adversity
- To develop confidence fortified with humility to identify and rectify failings
- To cultivate empathy, respect and the capacity to assist others when needed
- To nurture a sense of gratitude and a zest for life
- To encourage continued awareness (zanshin) of one’s surroundings and predicaments
All of this applies to every Japanese Budo including Aikido.